Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What do you mean it's going to snow? - The 2011 turkey story

The plan this year involved a day off for me on 11/23.  That way I could pick up the turkey, get some food prepped see a good friend and hopefully have a few hours to do whatever I felt like.  It was probably a very ambitious list but a girl can dream!  Mother Nature decided to throw a snow storm at us resulting in an evening trip to New Boston on 11/22.

With the boys in tow we headed out after work and daycare.  Where we typically eat around 5:30 I knew we'd have to stop along the way for dinner.  Where did we eat? McDonald's!  Ugh, I know!  Sometimes we've got to do what we've got to do, right?  After dinner our journey continued with happy meal boxes and toys in hand.  Patrick asked to bring his box inside when we picked up the turkey.  I chuckled and suggested that he leave it in the car so as not to lose it.  (Could you imagine arriving at an organic farm with a McDonald's box in hand?  HA!  In hindsight the farmer was wonderful and it surely wouldn't have been a problem.)

I hadn't anticipated the dark but only made one wrong turn prior to reaching the farm road.  After turning into three long driveways that were NOT the farm we found it.  Let me tell you, K turns on dirt driveways are not fun!  At least I only heard the boys each say, "I'm scared" once!  We finally found the right driveway but then couldn't find the right door.  The 1700's farm house has many doors including an attached barn with even more doors.  After several attempts up dark paths the boys and I went back to the car and called Roger from the driveway and he met us outside.  We discussed his CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program as we're going to switch farms for next year.  The boys kept themselves busy by weighing each other and potatoes on a huge antique scale and off we went.

Now with the snow coming and the turkey in the fridge I still have a day off tomorrow.  Fingers crossed for light work shoveling and an open daycare and school.  Looking forward to brining this bad boy for a great meal on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment