Friday, December 23, 2011

I'm a Little Italian: Grammie Teresa's Meatballs

Our next door neighbor's growing up, Aunt Rose and her daughter Lori, likely hosted more of my waking hours than my own family.  Aunt Rose was the best next door Grandmother ever!   There wasn't a single day that we wouldn't draw, sing songs (in Italian too), play cards and enjoy juice and cookies at her kitchen table.

Aunt Rose introduced me to red gravy and all of the pasta dishes that go along with it, pastina with butter, and zeppole's at the Italian carnival.  (The current tradition of fried dough doesn't hold a candle to confectioner sugar covered zeppole in a greasy paper bag!)  She once bought me a t-shirt that said, "I'm a little Italian" that was even more tongue and cheek than the author could have possibly intended. 

Imagine Aunt Rose's joy when I fell in love with and married an Italian!  Having her, Lori and her husband Ron at our wedding almost 10 years ago was such an honor.

The matriarch of my husband's family was Grammie Teresa, my father-in-laws mother.  Sadly, I only met her once before she had a severe stroke.  Imagine all of the food we could have made together! 

The recipe that follows in an homage to Aunt Rose and Grammie Teresa.  Since the best family recipes contain a little of this and a little of that, this is my brother-in-law's delicious adaptation.  It is a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner with homemade garlic bread and a salad followed by Christmas cookies!  Perhaps Santa will have a couple of meatballs in addition to his cookies.  That is, if there are any left.

Grammie Teresa's Meatballs and Sauce (Red Gravy)

Sauce (Red Gravy)
  • 2 26oz jars of tomato sauce
  • 3 26oz boxes of crushed tomatoes
  • 1 t. pepper
  • 1 t. onion powder
  • 1 t. garlic powder
  • 1 T. Italian seasoning
  • salt to taste
  • 1 T sugar
Mix all ingredients in a large, heavy bottomed pot. Simmer for several hours with the meatballs to combine flavors. 

Note: I substitute 28oz canned tomatoes with 26oz boxed tomatoes (such as Pomi) to reduce BPA exposure.  The acidic tomatoes causes a high rate of absorption of BPA from the cans.  Yes, there is BPA in jar lids however I believe this is the lesser of two evils.  My brother-in-law's recipe also calls for 1 can of tomato puree.  Since I have yet to find this boxed, I substitute with a third box of crushed tomatoes.

Meatballs:
  • 1 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
  • 2lb ground beef
  • 1 t. pepper
  • salt to taste
  • 2 t minced garlic
  • 1 T Italian seasoning
  • 2 large eggs
Mix the above ingredients and form into 1 inch balls.  Add the meatballs to the cold sauce to simmer.  (This method may require skimming fat from the top of the sauce as the meatballs cook.)

Alternatively, bake the meatballs at 350 for about 20 minutes to render some of the fat from the meat.  Then add the hot meatballs to the simmering sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment