Sunday, February 26, 2012

I've got worms! Adventures in vermicomposting

Our family of four averages about two bags of trash a week.  Recycling helps, however we try to limit our purchases to things that have need or use and not just stuff.  Don't get me wrong, we have more than enough toys (for kids and grown-ups) in our house!  I would venture to guess that compared to the "typical" American family we live pretty simple lives.

Red wiggler worms
Limiting our stuff collection extends to our food.  Shopping the perimeter of the store, staying away from processed foods, and from scratch cooking limits our packaging trash.  There is, however, an opportunity to manage our scrap food waste which is where the worms come in. 

Our Made in America Christmas resulted in a shiny new Worm Bin for me!  My quest to locate red wiggler worms in N.H. in the winter ended badly.  I suspect I would have had better luck locally during the farm market season.  As luck would have it, Amazon carries everything these day including red wigglers.

My role as worm mother has not begun well.  Waiting two days to open the box, the flyer inside urges immediately adding water to the worms.  (Mistake #1)  Next, the worm bin directions stress that all of the bin set up should be done before the worms are purchased.  (Mistake #2)  Oops.  I'll do better next time and in the mean time my worms are still alive.


This morning the boys and I set up the bin with scraps from our salad last night.  Per the manufacturer directions, here are the steps we followed:
Chop up food scraps well.

Lay down dry newspaper to cover the bottom of the bin.
Prep the bedding material and spread it on top of the newspaper.

Add food to the corners of the bin and dump in the worms
into the center.

Cover with damp, shredded newspaper and then full sheets
 of wet newspaper.

Put the lid on and let 'em eat.  Add more food trays
as the worms establish themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment