Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Spring CSA Share - Week 1

Farmer Roger and I met twice 6 months ago at his farm in New Boston.  It was the end of his season and he was tired but had a smile and kind word and was already looking ahead to 2012.  After a winter rest he's working hard at managing the farm and providing hundreds of shares of vegetables to his members.

I assumed that 6 months later I would need to introduce myself again before walking off with his bounty.  Yet when he saw me out of the corner of his eye he said, "Hi Amanda!  Good to see you!"  That's beyond cool.

We had a few minutes to chat and discuss the share for this week.  It's full of greens but not full of plain old lettuce which gets boring quickly.  We've got some great stuff here.  From the bottom left: baby kale, brassica leaves, pac choi, mesclun, garlic (cloves and scapes), spinach, mustard greens, radishes and turnips.

Matt was already well underway with dinner when I got home but I'm dreaming of what we will make tomorrow with these goodies.  Roger tells me mustard greens taste like horseradish which I adore.  I've never had them before but am looking forward to finding some great recipes this week!  Feel free to post any recipes or links that you may have!

I'll do my best to post our meals from later this week!  For those of you in NH Roger's farm still has available shares for the summer.  The farm is located in New Boston however he has satellite pick up locations including Manchester.

2 comments:

  1. I sauteed some of the garlic (cloves and scallions - saving the scapes for pesto!) in a bit of harissa olive oil, then tossed in the baby spinach and the greens from the turnips until wilted. Heaven on a plate. I am so happy to be getting our weekly shares again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Denise! I often forget to use the turnip tops and like that you sautéed them in with the spinach. Think I'll give that a try tonight for baked ziti with the sautéed spinach and turnip tops mixed it. How do you typically use the radish greens?

      I agree about getting the shares again... It is always so depressing when I have to start buying everything at the grocery store come later fall! Happy eating!

      Delete